11.10.2010

Why won't you wear the bribbon?

Tomorrow is Remembrance day here. By here, I mean Canada. It's a public holiday in most provinces, including New Brunswick. Although it's celebrated on the same day that Americans celebrate veteran's day, it's more of a Memorial Day holiday. Remembrance Day is observed on November 11th to recall the official end of World War I on that date in 1918, as the major hostilities of World War I were formally ended "at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month" of 1918 with the German signing of the Armistice. It's important here; Canadians take great pride in remembering their war dead.

Poppies are the symbol of Remembrance day and they begin to appear on jackets of Canadians in early to mid October and seem to multiply on their own as days go by. The red poppy has become the symbol of Remembrance Day because of the poem "In Flanders Field". I hardly ever see any of the Royal Canadian Legion members taking donations in exchange for a poppy, and yet I see them on almost every jacket and coat everywhere I go. I think that when jackets are put in closets at night, the poppies breed and multiply jumping onto other jackets like fleas jump from dog to dog! I didn't buy MY poppy, but there's one on my jacket. I have no idea when or how it got there, it just appeared one morning.

I'm intimidated by the poppy... I don't wear one because I necessarily want to, I wear one because I think I have to. It's not the law or a rule of any kind, but somehow I wonder if people would shun me if I don't wear one. I wonder if family would feel disgraced by me if I'm not seen with a poppy on my jacket. I wonder if dogs will bark at me and cats hiss at me as I walk by with my poppyless jacket. Homeless men might spit on me... cashiers refuse to serve me... the horror might be endless and yes, I wonder if I might even be sent back over the border if I don't wear the little red poppy. So I wear the poppy... on the left breast of my jacket over my heart. I'm scared not to. I'm scared to think what might happen if I don't wear the poppy.

So tomorrow is Remembrance Day and Veteran's Day... a day to remember. I'll be remembering those who were killed during service to two countries... my home country, the United States and my adopted country, Canada. War doesn't know borders and death isn't limited by nationality. I'll remember the veterans who proudly served and take a moment to be thankful for them and the peace I enjoy daily because of them.

And I'll wear the poppy... because I want to!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't mock the poppy!