11.08.2010

Aisle 3A, Row 2, Box 5B-7,

I often wonder if certain traits that we possess are part of our DNA or not. I'm not talking about having a big nose or being 6' 4" or even having a second tow longer that the big toe... I often wonder if things like organization are learned or not. I am a very organized person... much to a fault sometimes. My home is orderly... my desk at work is always neat as can be... my workshop is labeled and could rival the National Archives in Washington, DC's cataloging system. If you asked my neighbors, some might say that my garage is the most organized on the block... if not the city. Skills are thought to normally be taught and learned, and I have organizational skills... although, no one ever taught me these. I never took a class in school on how to be organized... I never read a self-help book on being organized and when I watch Home & Garden TV shows about organizing, I see how it can be done better.

So where did I get my organizational skills? As far back as I can remember, I've been neat and organized. I always had a neat room of my own doing and my drawers and closet were always organized. My desk at school was never the jumbled mess of papers, crayons candy wrappers and leftover tuna sandwiches that my friends desks were. I was organized. When I was of single digit age, I loved electric trains and cars. We didn't have video games or videos to watch  and I collected HO gauge cars and trains. Just recently, I dug out a few dusty boxes that I had stored in the corner of basement with these miniature automobiles and railroad cars in them. They were taped securely and when I opened a box, I didn't find it looking like a miniature town in Kansas after a tornado. There were no rats nests of wires and controllers and track with small parts strewn throughout, it was lined with small boxes that were neatly stacked, each full with track and railroad cars and accessories. Each  box was layered like lasagna with paper towel mozzarella protecting what to me was precious cargo. What I had there was proof that organizations skills must be inborn and not learned.

Where is this information stored in our bodies and where does it come from? Is there a gene in me that is stacked neatly and precisely labeled with these skills in it? Did my great, great, great grandfather learn these skills harvesting grapes in the hills of Italy and at that point it became part of my family's DNA? I have my ideas, but I guess I'll never know... or wait, I think I'll add this to my list of God questions!

(ps. the photo isn't my garage, but I consider the owner of it my hero)

2 comments:

Leanne Haines said...

I sooooooo did not get that gene. And I don't think that garage is real. But yours certainly does come close!

Mark Bizz said...

Your gifted, your writing captures my attention, try a book, I think you would be great... Now said, please organize me