11.01.2010

Brush Strokes

I painted today. I wish I could say that I created a wonderful piece on canvas or paper, but I didn't. I didn't use watercolors or acrylics... I didn't use tempera or oils... I didn't even use pastels. I used latex and I painted on walls. Basement walls to be exact. Now I consider myself and artist of sorts... more of a frustrated artist, but I think I have the gene in my body that controls the way our brains observe the world and sees it as a canvas. Good design excites me... it makes sense... it feels good and I love art and design. Now rolling paint on basement walls with a polyester roll on a handle, not so much.
I am enjoying the fact that we're finishing the basement and it's moving along nicely at the moment. I enjoy working around the house... doing projects and puttering. I enjoy looking at the finished product and knowing that I did it myself. I just don't enjoy painting very much. Maybe it's the perfectionist in me that causes this... maybe it's the neat freak in me that causes this... maybe it's the smell that causes me to feel this way... no, it just that painting is simply boring. Anyway, I have a few more days of painting before this stage of the project is finished and as boring as it is, I'll trudge on and get it done.
I think next time I'll pretend that my basement is the Sistine Chapel and I'm Michelangelo. I better go to Home Depot tomorrow and pick up a few sheets of gold leaf!

0 comments: