11.23.2010

Balloons, Pumpkin Pie and Christmas Lights

This is Thanksgiving week in the United States. I find myself getting homesick this week every year and I miss living in the US more this time every year than any other time. Yes, we have Thanksgiving here in Canada, but it's celebrated on the second Monday in October and it's not nearly as big a holiday as it is in the US. It's just not that big a deal here.

This whole week is so festive where my family is... grocery stores are buzzing with people buying Thanksgiving Day supplies... stores are prepping for Black Friday... it's a three day work week for lots of people... one can feel the energy in the air. There's simply lots of anticipation as the beginning of the holiday season is here. I always remember enjoying being at work this week; it seemed like everyone was. I used to make sure I watched the news on Wednesday night to see the coverage of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade preparations. It was always fun to watch the giant balloons come to life as they fed them with helium through what look like super-sized straws. Thanksgiving morning always meant a big breakfast and time in front of a television to watch the parade; it's something I always did as a kid. And then there's dinner... what can I say... what I wouldn't give for a piece of my mom's pumpkin pie right now.

I think the thing that makes Thanksgiving so different in the US is that it really is the official start of the Christmas season. Christmas lights seem to magically appear on houses and trees as dusk sets in on the third Thursday of November. As a kid, I loved driving home from my Aunt Emily's house, belly full of good food, seeing the Christmas lights on for the first time that year.

I'm missing being in New Jersey this week again this year. I wish my family had the chance to experience it as I did... I'm sure it would be fun for them too. Maybe next year we'll be able to go home and be there... we'll see. Until then, I'll just dream about the pumpkin pie.

0 comments: