12.01.2010

What am I... chopped liver?


For the past three years, we've be going to a Christmas Tree farm here in Fredericton to buy our Christmas tree. We don't cut it ourselves, but we do walk out into the field and pick one that the owner cuts for us. The first year, we went at night but last year, we went on our lunch hours together. We decided today that we'd make it a tradition. It's a great place and we love getting our tree there.

While that was fun and we got a great tree, it's not the point of today's blog. We've had our puppy four months tomorrow and she's become such a part of our family. We all love her very much and since having her, I've really come to appreciate dogs very much. They all have such distinct personalities. They all want the same thing... to be loved, to play and to eat.

Now back to the Christmas Tree Farm... when we first got there, the owner came out the back door of his house and with him came a fairly big dog named Jade. Jade greeted us with the usual tail wagging and nuzzle up for a scratch that all friendly dogs do. She especially took to me and stayed pretty close to me. Debbie and I headed into the field to pick out a tree, found one pretty quickly and went back to the house. Jade was sitting there waiting for us and again started hanging around me. I thought that she must have really liked me or could sense my new love and appreciation for canines. We were playing and having a great time. I put my hands in my pockets and after feeling the small baggie in my left jacket pocket, I realized why Jade had taken such a strong liking to me. I've been taking ZuZu to puppy classes on Thursday nights and I take treats with me... we all do... to use as rewards when we teach our dogs. Jade had smelled them in my pocket and wanted one. I took the treats out of my pocket and gave some to her... she was happy. I on the other hand was a little crushed that it really wasn't ME she was captivated with... it was my freeze dried liver snacks.

0 comments: