12.17.2010

Cookie Cannabalism

Have you ever eaten a gingerbread man (or woman) cookie? I don't know about you, but I always feel a little cannibalistic when I do. As I hold it in my hand, I look directly into Gilbert's eyes, let out a low growl to let him know the fate that's about to be his. Yes, I name my gingerbread cookies as it makes the deed of eating it even more tortuous, and as long as I'm going to commit dough murder, I might as well make it worth the trouble. I snear and grit my teeth at him and let him know that I'm in charge! Then it's time... the horrendous deed begins as I bite down, hard and direct on the gingerbread jugular vein and tear off it's little head! Next, it's arm... and because of my OCD tendencies, the other arm has to be next. The rest is easy as there's no fight left in the cookie body as it lies there doughless!
Mwahhh ha ha... goodbye little man (or woman) of ginger, molasses and flour!

According to Theresa Brunner at examiner.com, There's a definite psychology of eating a gingerbread man (or woman) cookie. Dunkin Donuts did a fun gingerbread man (or woman) personality test and hit the streets to find out what people had to say about it, and this is what they found.
"Apparently, 64% of all people tested ate the head first, while 20% went for the legs, and a mere 16% ate the arms first. So what does this all mean, you ask. Well, psychologists state that if you eat the head first then you have more of an aggressive personality. Start with a right arm and your more skeptical and pessimistic, left arm means that you are creative and an extrovert. Choose the legs first and that is indicative of a sensitive, empathetic personality.
Now of course, this isn’t an exact science, but those people on the streets busy munching on their gingerbread man cookie were mostly in agreement with the personality type given based on how they 'attacked' their cookie."
So there you have it! How do YOU eat your gingerbread man (or woman) and what does it say about you? I'm beginning to wonder if I might have a few issues that I need to work out! Gingerbread fingers anyone?
 
If you need to determine your own cookie murderous issues, here's a gingerbread cookie recipe, compliments of allrecipes.com. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

1 (3.5 ounce) package cook and serve butterscotch pudding mix
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions: 
  1. In a medium bowl, cream together the dry butterscotch pudding mix, butter, and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in the egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, and cinnamon; stir into the pudding mixture. Cover, and chill dough until firm, about 1 hour.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease baking sheets. On a floured board, roll dough out to about 1/8 inch thickness, and cut into man shapes using a cookie cutter. Place cookies 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheets.
  3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are golden at the edges. Cool on wire racks.
Yields 2 1/2 dozen.

    1 comments:

    Mitochondrial Eve said...

    See, I thought I ate the head first because he looked less human after that and that made me feel less cannibalistic. :P